Friday 12 April 2013

Call it reinventing the wheel or recasting old ideas, but these contemporary versions have a spirit and style all on their own.


I have been totally obsessed with the "Reinvent" concept since I was a little girl. I suppose you could say its in my blood. My grandparents owned an inorganic rubbish collection business and almost their entire house was made up of someone else s trash "reinvented". It was a magical treasure trove of creativity and practicability  I couldn't understand how some people could chuck out such potential. My grandmother Lenora was also a milliner by trade and had a keen eye for fashion and fabric. The dresses, lace, curtains and tablecloths she collected from the rubbish collections were turned into the most amazing dolls, hats, clothing and costumes. It was when I realized that a dress and its fabric should be appreciated and respected. Each piece no matter what shape or form has had an interesting story, and has a story yet to tell.Taking after my grandmother is my freakishly talented mother who I used to watch as a little girl shine in all her artistic glory restoring and remodeling old furniture, stripping back paint to reveal the native timber, adding decorative handles, and bright cushion covers.  

As I have experienced its the love, passion and creativity that goes into the reinvention process that gives an object more value. It carries all the charm of the past and can suddenly reinvent it self into the future. Call it reinventing the wheel or recasting old ideas, but these contemporary versions have a spirit and style all on their own.

So why buy brand new, or buy into someones else s idea when you can reinvent and rethink your own existing world around you?? With this concept I began Reinvented Bride, and tapped into the amazing potential of wedding dresses already sitting in wardrobes all over the world, pre loved designer gowns, spectacular vintage gowns, and the reinvention of dresses and vintage fabrics. However the reinvented movement is growing and I want to tell you all about it, I want to inspire you, get your creative juices flowing, save you money, and help you act in a sustainable way.

This blog was created to capture the magic of reinvention in all of its shapes and forms, from weddings, to fashion, into your home, and out to your garden...prepared to be amazed and inspired!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment